Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rockport Reservoir



This last week I went to Rockport Reservoir with a friend named Jason. Like me, Jason enjoys trying to catch different kinds of fish! I chose Rockport because the lake has a variety of fish species. You can catch small mouth bass, perch, brown trout, rainbow trout, and possibly a few other kinds of fish! Jason and I got to the lake around 0645 am and didn't get in the area we wanted to fish until about 0700 am. We fished for a while and weren't having any luck. I decided to switch from the typical trout lures, to a new lure I bought. I put on a different Joe's flies and lure lucky striker than what I've used before. Immediately I started getting hits from small mouth bass!


I caught a total of 11 small mouth bass in just a couple hours. I had several other bites but was unable to hook them! I caught bass ranging in a variety of sizes. 


 Small mouth bass are fun to catch because they hit your jig or lure pretty hard. You will be reeling in quite casually and then your lure will get thumped! If you haven't caught bass, give it a try!


 Jason caught a few on a white curly tail jig with a red or pink head. You can buy a whole package of them at any fishing store. Walmart even sells the curly tail jigs!


Jason caught most of his bass with my other Joe's flies and lure lucky striker. The one Jason used has a red tail and has a silver spinner which happens to be the same one I used to catch trout up in the Uintas!

JOE'S TIP OF THE DAY

If you want to catch fish, do a little research prior to your fishing trip. Learn what kind of fish are in the body of water you are fishing. Once you know what fish are in the lake, fish for specific kinds of fish. This will increase your chances of catching a fish. Often times people have little to no luck because they don't really know what they are fishing for. Worms are great generic bait, but you'll catch more fish if you try and get specific on the type of fish you want to catch!

No comments:

Post a Comment